iSCSI storage enables efficient use of a disk space while ensuring data safety and increased performance. Moreover, centralized storage management utilizing iSCSI and RAID technology makes administration more comfortable and reduces downtime in case of a hard drive failure.
From a technical perspective, iSCSI storage is a set of hardware and software designed to serve LUNs (Logical Unit Numbers) over a network. Such a server, designed for simultaneous access of multiple users, must meet the highest standards in terms of performance, reliability and redundancy.
A dedicated hardware for iSCSI storage solutions should meet certain conditions to provide good performance, capacity and to guarantee safety. Here are the general hardware requirements:
- Server platform with two quad-core CPUs for high performance
- H/W RAID controller with support for RAID5 or RAID6 for data safety and good performance
- Enterprise class SATA drives for high speed drive transfers and data reliability
- 10GbE NIC for high speed network connection or multiple 1GbE NICs for iSCSI MPIO network connection
- A large number of SATA/ATA/SAS drives for large capacity
- Redundant power supply for system reliability
The general requirements for the software are similar to those, defined for hardware - this means: manageability (usability and flexibility), network security (backup and data leakage prevention) and high performance (enabling full use of the hardware capabilities). Additional, but important criterion for iSCSI implementations is a low price of the software.
Below are the general requirements for software:
- Support for iSCSI Multipath I/O (MPIO) to iSCSI target – allowing multiple connections to one target, which increases performance and reliability
- Support for iSCSI CHAP – allowing CHAP users to be assigned to a specific iSCSI target
- Support for IP address restrictions for an iSCSI target - allowing administrators to set up a range of IP addresses which have access to targets
- Support for SAS/SATA RAID Controllers for large capacity and data safety
- Built-in, SNMP Based Monitoring System and E-mail notification for system monitoring
We recommend Open-E DSS V7 as a software solution for the iSCSI storages. It meets all the requirements presented above, guaranteeing both high performance and a low price.
- Financial Services - VBRB Mangfalltall-Rosenheim eG (German version)*
- Streamline IT Infrastructure and reduce Storage Costs with ibc and Open-E*
- Protection against fall not only for mountain climbers*
- Handelshof: Centralized IT Services on ES-8700 Cluster*
- Eine Erfolgsgeschichte aus der Lebensmittelindustrie (German version)*
- Setup a Ubuntu Server with iSCSI and MPIO to connect to an iSCSI Target in Open-E DSS V7
- Storage Solutions with iSCSI Auto Failover to install your Virtual Machine
- Typical Administrator tasks done while iSCSI Failover is running | German version
- Accessing iSCSI volumes without downtime when Failover is disabled
- All the possible ways to increase Volume Groups and Logical Volumes
- Open-E DSS V7 Quickstart | German version
*Content refers to Open-E DSS V6. Open-E DSS V7 includes the features mentioned in this referral.