Key requirements to create data storage for resource-hungry applications such as virtualization, high-performance AI or Machine Learning implementations are:
- Extremely high IOPs
- Ultra-low latency levels
- Outstanding performance
- Smart Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery plans
- Secure end-to-end backup opportunities
A wide range of potential threats, such as human errors, ransomware attacks, hardware failures, and natural disasters, makes it challenging, especially when the amount of data that needs to be backed To fulfill all the requirements, Open-E, Western Digital, and ATTO joined forces to deliver an end-to-end backup solution that combines the massive capacity of Western Digital Ultrastar® Data60 JBOD populated with Ultrastar® HDDs with the power of ATTO HBA SAS controllers and 100GbE NICs and the flexibility of Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery features of Open-E JovianDSS.
Hardware and Software Specification
The solution consists of the following hardware elements:
- ATTO ExpressSAS® GT HBAs (H1244GT) - a 4-Port External 4-Port Internal 12Gb/s SAS to PCIe 4.0 Host Bus Adapter built to handle the scalability and availability needs for the next generation of data processing.
- ATTO FastFrame™3 100GbE NICs which are suitable for a wide variety of high-performance applications and provide a high-quality and high-performance experience. ATTO NIC supports the Ethernet standard in a single- or dual-port configuration.
- Western Digital Ultrastar® Data60 Storage Platform, which provides up to 1.3 PB of raw storage using DC HC570 22TB CMR HDDs in a compact and efficient form factor. Ultrastar® Data60 addresses the demanding storage needs of large enterprise customers, as well as cloud service providers, requiring dense, shared HDD.
- Western Digital Ultrastar® TB 3,5” SAS HDD Family, which enable an incredible capacity to maximize data storage, especially in footprint- and power-constrained environments. Performance-optimized for heavy application workloads
As for the software, the whole system was powered by the ZFS-based Open-E JovianDSS. With Open-E JovianDSS users can achieve advanced levels of data protection since not only a High Availability clustering to ensure zero-downtime data accessibility can be utilized but also consistent data snapshots that can be stored both locally and remotely on the external backup machine. This way users can build their Business Continuity strategy against all the threats such as hardware failures, power outages, human errors, ransomware attacks, natural disasters, and much more.
"Our long-term partnership with Western Digital and ATTO gives us the opportunity to work closely with world-class data storage experts on the solutions that bring a brand-new value for our customers and resellers. And our latest project is a great example of this synergy"
Kristof Franek, CEO at Open-E
The outstanding Open-E JovianDSS flexibility in terms of data protection features, ensured by the On- & Off-Site Data protection, with the rock-solid Western Digital hardware, and advanced ATTO cards, provide an end-to-end Business Continuity and Disaster recovery solution. Thanks to it, the highest performance levels of an All-Flash data storage, as well as peace of mind when it comes to the security of the company's data storage infrastructure. can be enjoyed